-->

Saturday, November 19, 2011

Review: 8: The Previously Untold Story of the Previously Unknown 8th Dwarf

DO NOT judge a book by its cover. Seriously, this book may seem middle-gradey and younger, but there are sexual innuendoes in here. I know I've got you at the sexual part, so read on, folks!


Published Date: November 11th, 2010
Finished Date: November 19th, 2011
Format: eBook from Author
My Rating: 3.75/5

Blurb from Goodreads:
Written in verse, this is the previously untold story of the previously unknown 8th dwarf, named Creepy. He is banished to the basement for being different and, well, weird. Yet he plays a vital - and of course previously unknown - role in the popular tale of Snow White (whose title character is an intruder Creepy refers to as "the Maid").

My Review

Ingenious! At first when I received the ebook from the author, well, being the Paranormal Geekfan that I am, I was thinking I wouldn't like the book, but was in a very What-the-Heck mood so I accepted it. I would never have expected myself capable of ever reading a book written in verse form (I would just faint from boredom), and then enjoy it as much as I had. It was way cool; A really modern and humorous way of retelling one of the world's most famous fairytales.

You see, there once lived 8 dwarfs in the little cottage, but the 8th one was a little different, and a little weird, so the others termed him "Creepy", and the name has stuck ever since. Creepy lived up to his name, eating insects and shaving his hair, till one day the others could stand him no more, and threw him into the cellar. Poor Creepy had a kind heart, just a little dirty, if you get what I mean. And in came Snow White one day, when his brother dwarfs were out at work, and when the old lady at the door starts coming everyday to do her wicked deeds, it's up to Creepy to save the day. But will he get accepted by the others in the end?

My summary's a little all over the place, plus the book's only 7 pages on the Adobe Digital Edition, so I couldn't divulge all the juicy contents now, could I?

Imagine creating a poem that has 2,200 words give or take... Yeah, daunting task, doesn't it seem so? But Mullin did it. Wow, I can't even conjure a 5 paragragh worth of a half-assed poem in my Literature class, and he wrote this... Lol, that is some talent there. Not only that, he incorporated wit, humor, and he even managed to address a very controversial societal subject - the message to "not judge a book by its cover" and to not ostracize anyone just because they're different or ugly came across quite clearly in a fun and engaging way.

There was humor and a subtle sexual innuendo in the book, and a child-like quality that kept it true to its origins. There was this particular part that I really, really liked:

[This is where Snow White enters the cottage of the supposedly seven dwarfs'.]
"While he sat there in silence beneath the wood floor, An unwelcome creature came in the front door.
“Hello?” it called out in a voice scared and thin.

A reply was not needed. She just let herself in.

“How rude!” thought Creepy in sheer disbelief,
“Unless she’s a criminal. Some kind of thief.
If that is the case then it serves those dopes right, The front door unlatched, yet mine is locked tight!”

He quietly moved to the place in his tomb
Where he got the best view of the ground-level room.
She walked overhead, and he opened his jaw,
Surprised and transfixed by the sight that he saw.
Her bare feet were covered with cuts and scrapes,
But beyond that were far more intriguing shapes.
A layer of wrinkled-up cotton and lace
Covered gentle curves in the negative space.
His mind raced with thoughts not entirely clean
Seeing that which was clearly not meant to be seen.
He thought that perhaps he should look well away
..."

Uh huh, y'think? Lol, that's about 1 and a half pages out of the 7 that I mentioned. I'm telling you, it was 7 pages worth of smiles and surprises. Little Creepy even knew sarcasm! I got a kick reading that part of the prose, it was absolutely hilarious. And unexpected.

8 was a really "hip" way of retelling the alternate history (or in this case, alternate fairytale) of Snow White, where one neglected dwarf tells his neglected story, and it also serves as a reminder to society to stop looking at what's on the outside and start looking on the inside. Oh, and to stop being biased to the good-looking, and harbouring prejudices against the uglies.

You see, there's just too much moral values that Mullin teaches inside this little book of 7 pages. So, what's stopping you from picking this book up?

My Rating

2 comments:

A Bookalicious Story is now an award-free zone! Thank you for thinking about me tho, really!

I love comments. :) I may not be able to reply every single comment, but know that I read and appreciate every one of them. Thank you!

Cyp's Abbreviation Dictionary

DNF = Did Not Finish
HEA = Happily Ever After
PNR = Paranormal Romance
UF = Urban Fantasy
YA = Young Adult

Erotica Reference

BDSM = Bondage/Discipline, Dominant/Submissive, Sadism/Masochism
f/f = female/female
m/f = male/female
m/m = male/male

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...