-->

Saturday, February 11, 2012

Review: Broods of Fenrir by Coral Moore


Published Date: November 20th, 2011
Finished Date: January 27th, 2012
Publisher: Bared Teeth Publishing
Format: Paperback
Pages: 213
My Rating: 4/5
Goodreads | Amazon | B&N | Author's Website
Blurb from Goodreads:
Shapeshifter Brand Geirson was raised to rule the Broods of Fenrir, but he refused his birthright. Instead, he killed their brutal leader–his own father–and walked away.

For hundreds of years he’s avoided brood society, until a werewolf kills an innocent human woman and Brand finds himself dragged back into the violent politics of the shapeshifters. When the two brood women who mean the most to him come under threat, he must take up the throne and risk becoming the kind of vicious bastard his father was, or let the broods descend further into chaos–taking the friend he swore to protect and his lover with them.

My Review

My Summary
The world of the broods is a terrible, cold, heartless one, with leaders and earls who control their broods through fear. Brand was raised in such an environment, his father being the King of all the broods. His father was a heartless bastard who tortured his mother and friend, and for that, Brand killed him and left the world of the broods.

Now, Brand is working alone to keep his world secret to the humans and to silence all those shapeshifters who's as much a bastard as his own father was. He meets Dagny, daughter of an old friend now turned a little looney from all the torture that Brand's father put her through. She's tougher and braver than most males shifters out there, yet also very compassionate and sensual. And when Dagny is forced to return to the cruel earl of her former brood, Brand has no choice but to face his people again, enter their violent politics and acknowledge his birthright as King.

My Thoughts
BOF is a relatively short novel. It started out depicting the dark and bloody world that Brand lived in, but as the story progressed, the dynamics changed. I loved that subtle change as Dagny and his other friends entered the fray and we see small pockets of kindness, affection, and love. Especially in a such a violent world, any display of soft emotions is few yet all the more cherished and heartwarming.

We got to know more about the softer and more passionate side of Brand, his loyalty and devotion to his friends and loved ones. He was so sweet to Dagny even though they were amidst such gore and brutality. We got to know more about Alice, a weak shifter who was sold as a slave to a cruel shifter and then saved by Brand. She was very weak physically, but as events happened, Alice showed remarkable inner-strength. She's been Brand's closest companion for a hundred years and the way she and Brand talked to each other and teased each other even though one is a towering, mighty beast and the other a fragile female, they were really cute together. And then we got to know Dagny, fierce and courageous enough to butt heads with Brand's inner wolf. Together, Dagny and Brand made a formidable couple, and behind closed doors, both of them can really create some steam. More sexual tension though, since the action under their covers were not explicit and few.

I was expecting Alice to be Brand's mate, and was quite miffed when Dagny came into the picture. Lol, well, Alice is the gentle and kind heroine that's no longer common in Fiction novels nowadays, but thinking back, Alice wouldn't have been compatible with Brand cause he would have to be so cautious not to trample over her if they were indeed together.

The plot was well-planned and everything flowed out smoothly. Not to say that there weren't any curveballs thrown in, there were plenty, and I couldn't foresee anything that was to come. So much action, deception, and WOAH! The curveballs didn't only come in the form of betrayals and such, there was an unexpected side love story that was extremely heartwrenching. It pulled at my heartstrings, and I loved it so much. Then there was this totally unexpected death at the end that almost made me cry while I was reading it in public! I was waiting for my dental appointment and suddenly Moore came full-on with such a vivid, emotional scene! GAH, it was superbly well-written, I felt so keenly for the loss and actually teared. A very bittersweet ending. Amazing. (But I could have so done without it!!!! It isn't fair that _____ has to die!! D:<)

Just a few pointers that I picked out while reading BOF:
  1. His calloused fingers moved over her cheek, rough, but gentle. --Pg 16  Um, rough but gentle? 
  2. Wolves drink blood. Ok, this is the very first time I've heard of that, but oh well.
 Other than those points, I thought that BROODS OF FENRIR was a really nice Shapeshifter/Lycan tale, choked-full of action, suspense, romance, loyalty, and friendship. The beginning was a little too gory and dry, and I considered give the book a 3 star rating, but then as I continued reading it, it was a clear 4 or maybe 4.5. As I've mentioned previously, the change in dynamics was very subtle, but it made the book all the more engrossing. Every part of this book was intense, and I'd recommend this book to any reader who likes Paranormal Romance and a little Mystery/Thriller to go along with it.

Random Musings:

The book's paper quality is very good. It's thicker and smoother than most books'. Lol. And the BOF bookmarks are BEAUTIFUL, I tell you! I was so surprised by it when I received it in my mail.
My Rating
   

2 comments:

  1. Great review. Love the cover and sounds good. Ill have to add it to my wish list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yeah, when I saw this book in the mail I was literally squealing like a pig. :P The bookmarks that Coral sent were SO AWESOME as well!

      Hint: Gonna be doing a giveaway for those pretties in the near future. :D Haha.

      Delete

A Bookalicious Story is now an award-free zone! Thank you for thinking about me tho, really!

I love comments. :) I may not be able to reply every single comment, but know that I read and appreciate every one of them. Thank you!

Cyp's Abbreviation Dictionary

DNF = Did Not Finish
HEA = Happily Ever After
PNR = Paranormal Romance
UF = Urban Fantasy
YA = Young Adult

Erotica Reference

BDSM = Bondage/Discipline, Dominant/Submissive, Sadism/Masochism
f/f = female/female
m/f = male/female
m/m = male/male

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...