-->

Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Review: Lover Eternal by J.R. Ward


Published Date: March 7th, 2006
Finished Date: December 17th, 2011
Publisher: Signet
Format: Paperback
Pages: 441
Series: Black Dagger Brotherhood #2
My Rating: 5/5!

Blurb from Goodreads:
In the shadows of the night in Caldwell, New York, there's a deadly turf war raging between vampires and their slayers. There exists a secret bound of brothers like no other-six vampire warriors, defenders of their race. Possessed by a deadly beast Rhage is the most dangerous of the Black Dagger Brotherhood.

Within the brotherhood, Rhage is the vampire with the strongest appetites. He's the best fighter, the quickest to act on his impulses, and the most voracious lover-for inside him burns ferocious curse cast by the Scribe Virgin. Owned by this dark side, Rhage fears the time when his inner dragon is unleashed, making him a danger to everyone around him.

Mary Luce, a survivor of many hardships is unwittingly thrown into the vampire world and reliant to Rhage's protection. With a life-threatening curse of her own, Mary is not looking for love. She lost her faith in miracles years ago. But when Rhage's intense animal attraction turns into something more emotional, he knows that he must make Mary his alone. And while their enemies close in, Mary fights desperately to gain life eternal with the one she loves...

My Review

It couldn't have been more perfect than this. This...this is utter perfection personified! There wasn't much lesser-Brotherhood action in this one, but the romance between Rhage and Mary...That's just what romance is all about! That's how you write and develop a love story, not like those tragic crap that is Romeo and Juliet. I cried for them, worried for them, but the HEA (happy ever after) was totally worth that temporary cesspit of misery. I'm telling you, that was the perfect ending to a brilliant story.

**Spoiler minefield**

Rhage has been cursed to become a beast, which he has no control over, everytime he's hurt, angry, or too wound-up with energy. The beast doesn't know who's friend and who's foe, it'll just gobble up whoever's in it's path. He's a handsome guy, but he'd do without it to feel normal. He's got to visit those whores at the nearby club to constantly release some tension and energy, and he hates it.

Mary Luce is a psychiatrist for autistic kids, but is now volunteering at the Suicide Prevention Centre to pick up calls and counsel through the phone. She's been diagnosed with cancer - again - and she's working hard to keep herself busy herself from thinking about her detoriating health. But when she meets John, a pre-transition warrior, she and John will be brought to the Brotherhood to explain things to John (Mary to be a translator since John is mute and needs to use ASL). And when she's there, she meets Rhage and sparks fly.

Rhage is temporarily blinded after changing back from being the beast and is still recuperating, but when he stumbles upon Mary and hears her soothing voice, a reaction is triggered within him, and he must find out more about her. But humans are forbidden to be brought into the Brotherhood, and even if she were allowed into the mansion, everytime Rhage is near Mary, the beast also wants to come out to play...

**End of spoiler region**

If you've read my summary, then you'd know that LOVER ETERNAL focuses primarily on the relationship development between Rhage and Mary, the Hollywood potential and average brunnette. Mary's self-esteem is beyond low, so when Rhage takes notice of her, she keeps pushing him away, not wanting to be a charity case. I like how Ward did that, I mean, how she slowly lets Rhage into Mary's heart, and how Mary resists at the start.

Rhage is beyond AWESOME! He is such a heartbreaker, and he's very self-sacrificial. He absolutely charmed me, much more than Wrath or Zsadist or any one of the brothers. And it's not his looks either. The way he treated Mary, the way he fought for her right to remain in the Brotherhood's mansion, the way he protected her... Oh man.. I loved him so much! Oh, and you should see Rhage with a cherry. Hahaha, he totally charmed Mary with it. A cherry! And whenever he's with Mary, I swear, they are the cutest, most romantic, most compatible couple I have ever seen.

Even though I am an action-romance-junky, this book will always be my favourite in the BDB series. I think the romance was so good that it trumped the lack of action. I'd gladly not have the action to read more on Rhage and Mary. I wish there was a novella for him and Mary, not Bella and Zsadist..:( There were still fight scenes, and they didn't have sex until way past the middle of the book, but you wouldn't even take notice of it. I loved how Rhage courted Mary and earned her trust. Mary's so smitten she went a little cuckoo when she heard that Rhage has been with another woman (whore) that night that she actually took initiative to, y'know.. And she's really the sweet and soft woman.

Needless to say, I love Ward's writing style and the way she plans a book. To be able to handle so many POVs is not an easy feat to organise, even though I don't like multiple POVs cause they slow down the pace. It serves a purpose, yes I know, but it doesn't mean I have to like it, and I'm only interested in the protagonists. I'm sure I'm not the minority in this.

I loved the humor and sarcasm when the brothers and Butch banter. They. Are. HILARIOUS! And in this book, you can add in Mary's innocence. Rhage teases her for it! But she's very lovable when she's not in her element. You should see this part, they are absolutely so endearing when they're together:

Keeping his back to her, he stood up and stripped. With some finessing, he managed to get himself under the covers without flashing her a glimpse of what the front of him was up to. That monstrous arousal was nothing she needed to know about.

He faced away from her, lying on his side.

"Can I touch it?" she asked.

His erection jerked, as if volunteering to be the "it". "Touch what?"

"The tattoo. I'd like to… touch it."

God, she was so close to him, and that voice of hers—that sweet, beautiful voice—was magic. But the hum in his body made him feel like he had a paint mixer in his belly.

When he stayed quiet, she murmured, "Never mind. I don't—"

"No. It's just…"
Shit. He hated the distance in her tone. "Mary, it's okay. Do whatever you like."

If you haven't read DARK LOVER or you've skipped LOVER ETERNAL, I recommend that whatever you do, read Book 2. You may miss out certain events if you've skipped Book 1 (DARK LOVER), but I assure you, you'd want to miss the facts to read this wonderful piece of literature. It's... You won't regret it. 'Nuff said.

Random Musings:

You know how we get small glimpses of Bella? I've read the synopsis for LOVER AWAKENED, and I know that Bella's gonna be The One for Zsadist. But she's a little too bold for my liking. She's practically throwing herself at the guy. Aaaand I hate it when a girl keeps staring at a guy. I don't know why, but I think it's, well, not right. A little immoral, rude, and not right. I know that it's the only way to get close to Z, but it's just...a little too bold for my liking.

My Rating
 
Ok, guess I'm off to reread the book.B)

4 comments:

  1. Wow is it really that good? I must check it out for myself! Great review! You should do a character interview or something so we can kind of get to know the characters!

    Ana @ BookSpark

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, you think so? I'd love to have an interview with Rhage and Mary, but they're so intimidating! Any one of the brothers would be intimidating... Haha, and yes, you should check it out!:D

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG. You MUST read Z's and Bella's story next. It's full of awesomeness. Don't let her starry-eyed lusting over Z deter you! Seriously, Z's and Phury's history is heartbreaking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know I know. Actually I've read their story already cause I couldn't stand to be away from the brothers.:P haha, but I still think Rhage and Mary's story is the best. Z's and Bella's one is a little too dark for my liking. ESPECIALLY THAT DEATH AT THE BACK!! What's with that anyway? I reeealllyy think that W****** didn't deserve to die!:(( And I thought their relationship was a little awkward too... Rhage and Mary FTW! Hehehhee.:D

    ReplyDelete

A Bookalicious Story is now an award-free zone! Thank you for thinking about me tho, really!

I love comments. :) I may not be able to reply every single comment, but know that I read and appreciate every one of them. Thank you!

Cyp's Abbreviation Dictionary

DNF = Did Not Finish
HEA = Happily Ever After
PNR = Paranormal Romance
UF = Urban Fantasy
YA = Young Adult

Erotica Reference

BDSM = Bondage/Discipline, Dominant/Submissive, Sadism/Masochism
f/f = female/female
m/f = male/female
m/m = male/male

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...